Saturday, March 03, 2007

Back to the Daily Grind

One week off from work and I'm having a hard time getting back into it. I felt anxious already about my week off since it was going to end with my dance troupe performing on the streets of Boston Chinatown all day long (and I really mean all day, we went from 9:30am-5:30pm) on Sunday. I felt like all the rest and relaxation I was doing all week was going to be undone by this one day. Several of my teammates told me they were all taking Monday off.

"Oh, I take Monday off every year."

"I'm taking tomorrow off too."

Hmm....I thought. I would feel so guilty, taking a whole week off and then the first Monday off too. In my mind, I decided I could go to work.

So come Monday morning, and I am up at 5:15am. Back to the daily grind. I get up, I shower, I feed the zoo, I grab a hot beverage (usually black tea with honey), load Fric and Frac into the car and we're usually at the park by 6:15, just when it's starting to get light out. As I walked with the usual AM crowd, I felt the energy slowy zap out of me. I felt the ache in my neck, shoulders and back. My feet were sore and a bit numb from hours of pounding on the pavement the day before. And my nead began to throb.

Dehydration probably. Nevertheless, I could not let my coworkers think I was taking an extra long vacation so onward to work I went. By the time I got there, I realized what a bad decision I had made. It's one thing to go to work, sit at a desk, and do paperwork. But it's another whole ballgame to sit in a kindergarten sized chair at a kindergarten sized table and play with children, every half hour changing gears to a different child. Children that have been home for an entire week doing whatever they wanted whenever they wanted. Children who need a LOT of patience.

Uh uh. Time to go home. And luckily, my afternoon private client called to cancel as well. I was relieved. I just wasn't ready to face the daily grind. I happily stayed home, off my feet, and even got caught up with some paperwork.

The rest of the week was rough. Even though it ended up being a short work week for me, Tuesday through Friday, it felt so long and it just dragged. Days were long and I missed my babies. I've been home with them everyday for the past 10 days. *sigh* What would it take to convince you all that Riley and Sabrina really need a stay-at-home mom?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Not much! Molly and Sam are definitely happier when my husband is home, or I am home.