Sunday, March 25, 2007

Homework


Sabrina went to her first obedience class yesterday: Graduate Puppy. It's for puppies over 6 months old. There are some really sweet dogs in her class: a mild mannered Golden-doodle, a very excitable yellow lab, a sweet little Lhasa Apso, a talkative pound puppy, and a 7 month old Berner girl from "a farm in Germany." I can now bet on 9 out of 10 Berners I meet within a 20 mile radius are from that "farm in Germany." If that doesn't send a big red flag to potential puppy owners, I don't know what will. Somebody is really cranking out puppies from that farm!
This is the first graduate puppy course I have ever attended and I am so glad we signed up. It is very different from Puppy Kindergarten. We immediately worked on how to teach our dogs to behave on a leash, from greeting other dogs on leash, to socializing briefly on leash, and then walking away at a heel. I learned about reading dog behavior/language as well as good dog owner etiquette. I wish every dog owner would go to an obedience course!
Sabrina was so excited throughout the class. Her paws were sweating the entire time and I could tell that she wearing herself out way before the class ended. When we finally made it back in the car and was heading home, Sabrina was passed out in the back. She slept the rest of the afternoon too. It was a lot of excitement for one puppy, especially alone without her big brother to show her the ropes!
This week, we have homework. We need to work on the 'heel' command. Sabrina has spent about 2 seconds of her life on a short 4 foot leash. Although she did quite well yesterday in class, I know we have a lot more work to do. I remember spending hours of time with Riley teaching him to heel, especially in the city, walking through crowds on Newbury Street, maneuvering sharp corners, and narrow walkways. I need to do a lot more of that with Sabrina. Unfortunately, I really don't know when I'm going to plan all of this training. I'm being very lazy today and can barely get the dogs out for a walk. I wish Riley could train her!

1 comment:

Passionate Eater said...

That is so wonderful that Sabrina sounds so excited and enthusiastic about school! She'll be learning in no time!