Sunday, March 18, 2007

How Should a Parent Be Missed?

I forgot to mention the reunion with my furbabies upon return from our vacation. I met up with Auntie Dory at the dog park as she had to walk Agave and my two needed their walk too. I arrived before they did, anxious and impatient of course. I sat in the car, waiting, and watched as she pulled her car in the parking lot, let the dogs out and began to walk into the field. Sabrina was glued to her Auntie's side, waiting for her to chuck the tennis ball for her. Riley was happily doing his sniffing rounds along the perimeter of the grass.
I got out of my car and belted out a soft, "Sa-Briiiiiiiiiiiina"
Nothing.
I see Riley about 20 feet away from me. He stops in his tracks, ears cocked forward, mouth closed, serious concentration. He is looking straight at me but does not seem to recognize me yet. Almost as if he is in disbelief and needs confirmation that it is truely whom he thinks it is.
I call out again, "Sa-Briiiiiiiiiiina"
Riley lounges off his feet into a full tilt sprint towards me. (I actually start to back up a bit cuz I'm not sure how hard the impact is going to be). He is chortling the wonderful Berner sound. The sound of pure excitement, happiness, and delight. He jumps and squiggles and chortles for a good 5 minutes with me. Several people have stopped to watch this exuberant reunion. I am so very happy to see my smiling boy.
Sabrina on the other hand. Has not noticed me at all. She continues to run after the ball. I call to her a few more times, she runs by me a few more times, and then suddenly she shoots up like a rocket and lands a sloppy, muddy kiss on my mouth before she's off and running again. She doesn't skip a beat.
Both dogs happily jumped into my car when it was time to go. Sweet little Agave was a little confused which car she was supposed to go in though. Maybe she thought it was her turn to come to our house for a sleep over!

No comments: