Saturday, October 21, 2006

Two days til surgery

A couple of days ago the X-pen I ordered arrived. Yay! Riley was very wary of this new large structure in the house and avoided it at all costs. Sabrina barely bat an eyelash. They are so different! So for the past few days, Riley has been eating his meals in the X-pen, but with the gates open. Little by little, he has gotten used to the noise it makes when someone bumps into it and the fact that it will move a bit. This morning, he and I were actually able to get inside it, close the gate, and leave Sabrina on the outside. I was very pleased how it all went. I brought a bucket of treats and a clicker in with me. I got Riley to lay down inside while I treated him and Sabrina. Sabrina did not jump or claw at the pen, yay! So I'm so glad this x-pen came early. Just one less thing for Riley to worry about after the surgery. I still have to decide if we want to use the mesh cover. It seems Sabrina is not able to clear the 42 inch frame, but who knows after a few more weeks of growing? She is quite the kangaroo!

This weekend, I will be preparing a bunch of kongs to prepare for the "lock down." 8 weeks of potty breaks only. Gulp. People say the time goes by faster than you think. But having already done 6 weeks of restricted activity, it feels like starting all over again. I am relieved that I won't have to carry Riley up the stairs every night though. The plan is to have him stay downstairs thru the 8 week recovery period. Who knows. 8 weeks is so far away.

We went to see Dr. Doolittle on Thursday. When I asked about physical therapy, she was adamant that Riley had to go this facility: Sterling Impression Animal Rehabilitation Center of New England, in Walpole. Good. It was one of the two places I had found on my Google search that were near us. I will ask the surgeon on Monday when we can start physical therapy. I am hopeful and positive that this surgery and recovery will go well. Please keep your fingers, toes, and paws crossed for us!

No comments: