Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Another opinion

New information via a long-time Berner owner. She attended a workshop last night specifically about cruciate disease. Since I could not make the workshop, she kindly forwarded some of her notes to me. Things that jumped out at me:
Many dogs that begin with conservative management end up with surgeries either on the same leg or on the other leg anyways. Many dogs while on conservative mangagement lose a lot of muscle mass that would be helpful in stablizing the knee. One of the causes an unstable knee besides a sudden athletic injury or trauma, is chronic inflammation due to autoimmune disease and poor joint conformation.
Bingo. It was like a light turned on. Riley may have been predisposed to this injury due to chronic inflammation secondary to his immune issues. Riley has exhibited chronic inflammation throughout his life. If it wasn't his skin, it was his ears, then it was his muscles and his joints. I remember once when he was just a few months old and I botched my first tick extraction. Riley's face swelled up like a balloon, from just a tick bite! In addition, though I don't know anything about conformation, I sincerely doubt Riley has good conformation. But I'd have to ask an experienced breeder that question. Maybe his bone structure was faulty to begin with. Who knows. However, I also do know that plenty of "pure bred" Berners from reputable breeders have also had joint problems.
I'm beginning to lean more towards surgery now...

No comments: