Sunday, October 15, 2006

Pre-surgery prep

I'm trying to stay calm. The only way I know how is to try and plan ahead, prepare, and get a massage. This weekend, I did my research on getting Riley an X-pen (exercise pen) for a safe recovery from surgery. I've been trying to decide what size and what kind of pen I would need. I didn't want to use his crate: #1 because he hasn't seen it since he was a little puppy and he never really liked it, #2 cuz he wouldn't be able to walk around or turn very easily with an injured leg, and #3, he would seem so separated from us in there. So I've been trying to find something that is not too heavy, easy to use, flexible in size, and something that won't spook him out. I've decided on Midway's It's a Breeze soft-sided x-pen. It looks like a toddler's pack and play but with 8 sides that can be adjusted from 4, 6, or 8 sides. I like it cuz Riley will have some safe space to himself and will still be able to see everything going on around him. If he rubs up against the sides, it's soft and if Sabrina tries to jump in from the outside, it won't rattle and spook him. I think I will have to get a mesh cover though since Sabrina is part kangaroo and I'm sure she would jump in just to be with her big brother.

But no one sells the stupid X-pen. I went to three different pet stores. No luck. I found it in the Pet Edge catalog but they ship it directly from the manufacturer's and it takes 1-2 weeks. I really wanted to have it by this week so we could all try it out and get used to it before the actual surgery. My only hope is that Especially For Pets will be able to special order it for me and rush to it me. Worst case, we'll receive it the day Riley gets home from surgery. Oh well. You can only plan for so much.

In preparation for weeks of confinement and restricted exercise, I have been researching on ways to keep Riley's mind occupied. Aside from a lot of silly training games, many people keep their dogs busy with chew toys. I will be buying lots of buffalo marrow bones (which are about a foot long) for him. In addition. I have purchased several kongs as well, which I plan to stuff with a myriad of yummy/tasty treats to keep him busy. Yesterday I tested them out with both Riley and Sabrina and they were both occupied for at least 3 hours! They slept like babies afterwards.

I still have to figure out if we're going to need a sling to help Riley up and down the front stairs to go out and potty. Maybe this week we'll try out just using a towel and see how he does. I think he's gonna look at me like I've lost my marbles.

No comments: