Monday, October 23, 2006

Post TPLO surgery update

I took Riley early this morning (6:30am) to Angell Memorial Hosptial to check him in for surgery. I didn't get to ask too many questions because the only people I dealt with was a receptionist and a vet tech who took him. I figured I could talk to Dr. Trout later in the day anyways. Riley was in a good mood and after I exited the building, I lurked outside watching him through the window. His tail was wagging and he was still smiling so that put my heart at ease. I just don't want my baby boy scared or feeling abandoned.

I drove off to Springfield for a conference and from 10-10:30 I began to feel extremely nauseas. I didn't know how I was going to make it thru the rest of the day as I wasn't expecting Riley's surgery til about noon and the surgeon wasn't supposed to call me until later the afternoon. Funny thing is, the surgeon called at 10:45 to let me know that Riley had been put under and was now being shaved and prepped for surgery. Mommy-baby vibe? You betcha. I was so grateful for the phone call.

1:15pm Dr. Trout calls me again to let me know the surgery went well and Riley was going into recovery to wake up. He gave Riley an epidural and he seemed to do well with it, whatever that means. He also assured me that we made the right decision fixing his knee with surgery. Apparently the angle of his knee was at 32 degrees. He informed me that 22-25 degrees is the normal angle. Thus, Riley had a steeper, less stable slope in his knee. Okay, that definitely made me feel better. I immediately asked him to check the x-rays for the slope in his other (good) knee. He very politely suggested that I focus on one thing at a time. I like this surgeon a lot. As I have mentioned before, he has a very calm and reassuring beside manner that is not arrogant or condescending. Very good for a Mommy like me.

I am thinking about calling tonight before I go to bed to see if he has eaten anything or feeling more alert. I may also call early tomorrow morning just to see how his night went. I am very concerned that #1 he has never been kenneled before, and #2 he has to spend the night with strangers possibly in pain. I hope that he is still too doped up to realize where he is.
Tomorrow when the surgeon gets in, he will check on Riley and call me to tell me when I can pick him up. I am kinda thinking I'm not going to pick him up until late afternoon. Since we've already paid for the entire day, I figure he may be better off under their supervision and that less fretting for me. But then again, I can't wait to see his smiling face again.

Sabrina seemed to do alright on her own at home today. Shredded some cardboard but nothing more than what she usually will do when she's bored. I think she's actually kinda enjoying being the only child. She's never had the opportunity so she'd better just enjoy it for the day!

No comments: