Tuesday, October 17, 2006

A broker's market

Seems lately, everywhere I look, someone's got a Berner. In the past 2 months, I have met three new Berner puppies at the park: 9 months, 4 months, and 13 weeks. All from the same puppy broker we got Riley from. She is certainly making a good income this year. The club believes she's shipping puppies in every month. *sigh* Yesterday as I left Back Bay, I saw a woman crossing the street with two young Berners, probably around 9 months old, in tow. Today, as I picked up my raw food order from Especially for Pets, the family in line next to me had a Berner puppy too. I tried not to get into a conversation with them. This is getting to be crazy! Are they becoming a new fashion trend?!
In the last year, this breed has suddenly increased in popularity. Of course I am happy that more people are learning of this beautiful breed and enjoying these dogs. But the reality is, the more that people want these dogs, the more the puppy brokers and puppy mills will be breeding and selling. This may be the beginning of a sad era and difficult battle for our breed and the club. Everyone can reflect what has happened to popular breeds in the past: Dalmations (especially after 101 Dalmations), St. Bernards (after Beethoven), and of course our ever popular labradors and retrievers. Unfortunately, we live in a world where money talks and animals are treated like property.
Well, no use dwelling on these issues unless we're going to do something about it. So I'm gonna try to do something about it.

No comments: