Sunday, September 09, 2007

Preparing for TPLO #2

Last Tuesday, I took Riley to see the orthopedic surgeon at Angell Memorial. It was comforting to see a familiar face and yet, how unfortunate to have to bring Riley to see him again. But I felt we could not be in better hands. Dr. Trout performed Riley's left knee surgery in October of last year, 2006. Today, you would never know he's had an injury in that knee. Every other vet that has examined him has commented on the minimal scarring and amazing recovery in that knee. Because of Dr. Trout's great work, Riley was able to enjoy a fun filled winter, spring, and hopefully will be able to enjoy many many more seasons to come. Unfortunately, Riley's right knee could not keep up with his spirit. And it is clear to us that we need Dr. Trout's expertise once again.

Next Wednesday, we drop Riley off to be prepped for surgery. He will stay the night and come home on Thursday. I am 100 times calmer than I was last time around. I have no concerns about the surgery, just a bit worried about Riley being under anesthesia and the amount of pain he will have to endure. I plan to stay up the night with him as I did the first time around. We anticipate a longer recovery period if Riley has torn the meniscus cartilage between his joints. Plus, this injury seems to be worse than the first one. I expect the surgeon to tell me that his ligaments are completely torn as well as the meniscus.

In preparation of this surgery, there wasn't much to do. I sent him to the groomers yesterday to shave down his legs and some of his tail. Last time, Riley came home with some foul smelling mats around his leg that I could not clean out. Probably a combination of blood, iodine, and maybe even fecal matter. His paws were also trimmed to ensure maximum traction when he returns home. I do not know how else to prepare him for the pain he will have to endure. But hopefully, this will be the end of his orthopedic pains and he will be able to run and romp with his sister for years to come.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I hope this will be the last of it, too!