Sunday, September 16, 2007

4 Days Post TPLO #2

Riley is doing well. Better than expected actually. There seems to be significantly less bruising and swelling in his leg this time. He is also calmer, as if remembering his ordeal last time and understanding the process of rehabilitation.
Sabrina was of course estatic to see him home. In an amazing act that I can only describe as being compassion, Sabrina greeted him slowly and cautiously, inspecting him from the top of his head to the tip of his tail. She is, right now, curled up on a dog bed with him, snoozing.
Since Riley has been home, we have not asked him to do stairs yet. Which means he can only go out when the Dogfather is around to carry him down the front steps and carry him back up. Perhaps today or tomorrow I will see if I can convince him to do the 8 or so steps. With his leg completely shaven, you can see what a skinny little behind he has and I worry about the amount of muscle atrophy that has already happened over the past few weeks and months.
Riley's appetite has been good. His incision and staples look pretty good. They seem to be itching him today as he whips around to lick his wound when he is moving forward as if something has nipped him from behind. I have continued to ice it whenever I can and for as long as I can stand kneeling on the floor holding the ice pack in place. Not an easy task since I have put on almost 20 pounds!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm glad he's doing well!