Monday, September 03, 2007

Home Sweet Home - and Back to the Big Bed

Happy Labor Day and sorry to all that have to labor on this day. We are having a beautiful weekend in New England and my family (furkids and us) are very happy to be back home. We just returned from a two week vacation on Moosehead Lake in Greenville, Maine. Although the house we rented was just like a home away from home, nothing beats coming home to sleep in the Big Bed. :D

We rented the Moosehead Hideaway last winter over X-mas and loved it so much we went back this summer for two weeks. We invited some friends and family up to join us and that was part of what made it such a fantastic vacation.

Dogfather said to me our last night there while watching the sunset at Lily Bay, "This was the best two weeks I've ever had."

Everyday was fun, relaxing and filled every atom in my body with happiness. What could be better than 14 days without e-mail, without a watch on, without any worries, eating whenever you're hungry and sleeping whenever you are tired, and having your dogs with you? It was the best.

Unfortunately on the fourth day of our trip, Riley blew out his right knee entirely. We had been managing a partial ligament tear on this knee for almost 3 months now. A little too much excitement on vacation was enough to tear the remaining ligaments. It was heartbreaking but my boy pulled through so bravely. 24 hours post injury, he was up and running again, only on 3 legs. It is quite amazing how adaptive he was. He was a fast dog on 3 legs! We were lucky to be staying just down the road from the local vet and I found this small town vet to be open-minded, kind, and much more holistic than I can say for most of Boston's vets. Although we puchased a bottle of Rimadyl to last us the entire two weeks, I was able to manage Riley's injury by just icing it and and giving him Arnica. Yay!

We have a ton of wonderful photos which I will try to post soon. Mostly photos of Riley, Sabrina, and the fur friends that came up to visit. I will post them soon. Stay tuned!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm glad to hear he's recovering!