Monday, April 09, 2007

Saved by the Kong

Long work days and mismatched schedules sometimes leaves our furkids too idle at home for their own good. Well, that really only refers to Sabrina. Although they both get to stretch their legs every morning at the park, they unfortunately sometimes have to miss an afternoon romp. I usually have time to stop home before I have to go back out so they least get a potty break and I can check to make sure nothing terribly important has been destroyed (not that it would matter by then anyways). Otherwise between the DogFather and I, we organize our schedules so that one of us has the furkids.
But sometimes, it just doesn't work out and that is when we are saved by the Kong. These are kongs:

Tough, hollow, rubbery "things".

I mix up a batch of favorite tasty treats:

Here we have a can of Merrick's Rocky Mountain Rainbows with shredded garlic, powdered sea kelp, chopped carrots, chopped almonds, organic yogurt, apple cider vinegar, organic peanut butter, and chopped mozzerella cheese. I basically searched my kitchen for anything they furkids might like that would freeze well. And we fill the kongs.

Stick em in the freezer and they're ready to entertain on a rainy day.

1 comment:

Passionate Eater said...

What a well-balanced meal! I used to put powdered milk into my dog's food bowl, but I think he was lactose intolerant, and he experienced indigestion as a result. It seems that your dogs enjoy cheese from the contents of those kongs. It sounds great! Your little friends are lucky to have you as their parent.