Saturday, April 21, 2007

Kitchen Helpers

Last night I started to make Riley and Agave's birthday cakes. I had a general idea of how I wanted the cake done but no real plan. I headed to the grocery store to pick up the ingredients:

3 lbs of ground beef
a bag of boiling potatoes
3 sweet potatoes
a small glass roasting pot

I already had parmesan cheese, ketchup, bread crumbs and fresh garlic in the refrigerator at home to add to the recipe. I call it the, "Slow Cooked Garlic Meat Loaf with sweet potato filling and mashed parmesan-potato frosting." Hmm....seems kinda long...

It was really quite simple. Here's the final product:


The sweet potato is layered inside the cake. I wish I had a side cut view to see what the inside looks like. The "frosted" lettering on top is done by blending a can of Merrick's Cowboy Cookout and squeezing it out of a makeshift pastry bag (ziploc bag with corner cut off).

This morning I finished the cakes. Riley and Sabrina were allowed in the kitchen to help of course.


Cleaning the "batter" bowl...


And afterwards posed with their new handsome personalized bandanas.


Riley almost couldn't stand looking at his cake. Sabrina wasn't trusted anywhere near the cake.


Sabrina shares her secret scheming plan to hijack the cake to a very innocent and oblivious Smiley Riley.


And the Birthday Boy seems to like the sound of her plan!


The party starts at 2pm. Where will YOU be?
More photos coming....

3 comments:

jedibunny said...

That is too cute. Awesome job on the cake. Looks yummy. What a lucky dog!!! Riley can't stop licking his lips ;P

alegna said...

Thanks! The cake really wan't that hard. It just took a long time to peel all the potatoes. Next time, I'm not peeling them!

Passionate Eater said...

Wow, those meat cakes are decorated immaculately! I am licking my lips just like Riley!