Thursday, April 27, 2006

Ticks the Season

Aaaah, so Spring is finally upon us and though it is glorious to be outdoors, those bugs are out.

Parasites. Yuck.

I will certainly have my share of mosquito bites this summer. Every year I set out to use the least amount of harsh bug-defying chemicals I can stand and inevitably I am slathering the stuff on like a second layer of skin. Riley is lucky, he has a natural protective layer, his coat.

I have seen him covered...yes COVERED in mosquitos, hopping around his body, trying to get through his coat and they are mesquito-miles away from his skin. Unfortunately, I think his nose is quite vulnerable.

Ticks are more the problem. We had a pretty mild winter and a lot of those buggers never even died out in the frost. I have a feeling they will be bad this year. They are gross, blood-sucking parasites. I have started Riley on a garlic diet, though we will not go full force until we get out into the woods. Then it will be a clove of crushed garlic a day. And I will have to concoct some good natural spray. In years past, I have used a spray bottle of diluted Avon's Skin So Soft on all of us. It was worked pretty well for tamer mosquitos but not much for ticks. I typically end a day in the woods with a nice long brushing over a white towel and a hands on body massage to feel out the ticks. Perhaps I will try some of the natural repellants this year. Or I have heard of boiling lemons down into a concentrate. Walking around smelling like a lemon tart ain't so bad, right? ANYTHING is better than smelling like OFF! I'm sure.

Here is one recipe someone uses, unfortunately, it's toxic to cats:

Rose Geranium is a natural tick repellent.

Fill a small spray bottle with the following.
· 2 drops each, rosemary and lavender oil *
· 3 drops of citronella oil DON'T USE AROUND A PARROT ;-)
· 20 drops or so of rose geranium (plumarosa) oil
· 1/2 ounce or one tablespoonful of alcohol based tincture of bay
· 1/2 ounce or one tablespoonful alcohol based green black-walnut hull tincture
· 8 ounces of distilled water

*You may, if you prefer, use 3 to 4 drops of one or the other.
This can be sprayed directly on one’s dogs every time they go out, or onsself for that matter. Spraying it on things like lawn or deck furniture can also be very effective.
*********************************
Note that this recipe is NOT safe for cats!!

I used to have another list of premade "natural" repellants. When I find it I'll have to post it. I really don't know how well any of them work. I kinda feel like the brushing and checking method is the most thorough way to go without going the toxic route, but I may try out a few products this year just to see anyways.

No comments: