Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Leaving Puppyhood

Happy Birthday to my Berner bundle of joy. Today is a bittersweet day. Celebrations are certainly in order for Riley, but I am saddened by this day. I do not look forward to more Bernerbuddy Birthdays because I do not want to think of Riley getting old, Riley having ailments, Riley without bounce. So I wished him a very happy, sweet, 3rd birthday, gave him an extra long hug and lots of kisses. I talked to him and told him how much I loved him and how lucky we are to have him in our lives. He listened to me talk, as he always does, and reached out his paw to hook my arm in a gesture of understanding. His eyes softened to my voice and he looked in my eyes intently as I spoke. Those eyes could see right into my heart, those soulful, honest eyes.

I got home late from work today. And when I arrived home, no Berner puppy came to greet me. Riley was too busy with his turkey drumstick in the kitchen. He looked up from his birthday meal and gave me a few good tail thumps to welcome me, but did not slow down one bit. My husband fills me in that he has already had two appetizer treats prior.

I look to the table and see a bag of treats and a new toy for Riley. Jeffrey took him to the park for a good afternoon romp and stopped by the pet store to buy Riley birthday treats. Riley picked out a new Green Frog with long arms and legs that you can velcro together. Jeffrey picked out some chewy treats and birthday dessert: Peanut Butter Frosty Paws. What birthday is complete without ice cream, right? I am pleased that Riley spent a good part of his birthday doing things that he loves: running in the park, playing with other dogs, playing in the creek, eating treats, chomping on a free range turkey leg, getting lots of hugs and kisses, and best of all, getting to have peanut butter ice cream. I am sure he has no idea why he got so many extra yummy treats today but today was really like no other day to him: he is happy and grateful for what he is given. I can only hope we will be able to provide him all that he will ever need because he has given us more than we could have ever imagined...

Happy Birthday Jack vom Kortenhof, aka "Riley" CGC... the Berner Sennenhunde of our hearts.

No comments: