Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Rain, rain, wash it all away

I am not fond of rain. Rain brings dark mornings, extra layers of clothing, and wet pant cuffs. I do not love rain. But I know we need it. Not only are we desparately low on rainfall this month, but it washes things away. Things that have become a little more than just an annoyance around my house.

I am talking about the new springtime mulch and pesticide ridden lawns around my condo. Last week, Riley had two episodes within two days of retching yellow, foamy bile. The first episode, Jeffrey recounted to me. Riley walked from the bedroom, into Jeffrey's office and proceeded to show him that he was sick. A bit puzzled, I tried to figure out what he might have gotten into, but Riley is not accustomed to ingesting inedibles. (well, besides dirt...) On the second day, it hit me when Jeffrey told me Riley really loves running around in the fresh new mulch they just put out on the CVS lawn across the street. Bingo! It is springtime and the landscapers are back. Anything other than playground mulch is treated wood. I understand playground mulch is sterilized, thank goodness! But regular mulch is often made from treated wood and they treat it to fend off termites. Well, my Bernerboy may love to run in this stuff, but when he gets home, he finds that that mulch leaves a scent on his paws, which he dutifully licks clean. Thus, nausea and retching. Sigh, okay, no more running on the mulch.

Then yesterday, my good husband calls me while I am in my car.

"Every piece of grass is covered in pesticide. Where do you suggest I walk Riley?"

Ah NO! I begin to feel uncomfortable that our entire condo and block is ridden with freshly sprayed pesticide. Is my family breathing this? Does our morning paper now come in with traces of toxins?

Luckily, my clever husband suggests just wiping down Riley's paws. Brilliant idea.

But I'm now hoping that it will rain a lot more today to wash it all away. I don't think I have ever wished for more rain. Come on down rain, and wash it all away.

No comments: