Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Baby-proofing the Dogs

Recently, we have been realizing more and more the challenges of having a baby in the house with two large dogs.

And becoming a bit concerned about it.

So I'm calling in reinforcements. I've contacted the training guy from the local Berner club to give me some pointers. Riley has been showing signs of jealousy big time. More and more all the time. Especially since we'be gotten Sabrina. But not just jealously. Overprotectiveness. I think he's just a little confused what his role is.

Sabrina, I have no doubt will love and adore the baby (and probably drown it in sloppy kisses, not good either). She is also the one I'm concerned about stealing baby bottles and eating dirty diapers. (I didn't come up with these. These are just a few examples of naughty dog behavior that I read in Time Magazine.) Demomting the Dog

Will the baby be able to sleep through the symphony of Wroo Wroos that escalate whenever someone comes to the door? Will the baby lose to Sabrina all of the baby toys? Recall Sabrina's obsession with plastic? More importantly, will I lose my patience when the dogs waken the baby from a much needed nap or destroy a favorite toy for the 5th time?

I certainly never imagined anything but perfect harmony in my mind before all of this became so real. After all, the Dogfather and I are true dog-lovers. Animal-lovers if you will. We would never love our dogs any less, no matter what...I think?

I'm getting on Amazon right now to find a good book on baby-proofing the dogs.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey there!
Clearly I missed some important news! How much time do you have for this baby-proofing project?
My advice, for whatever it's worth, is this: just like we sometimes want an x-pen or crate for a dog, a playpen will not kill a baby. I grew up in an old house with splintery floors, so my mom had to use one. I may be scarred, but not by that. If you keep baby toys in the playpen, only a very limber dog will be able to get in to bother with them.
I suspect a baby who grows up with dogs will acclimate to their sounds and not find them unusual. People raise babies in apartments and cities with all sorts of ambient noise, and most of them nap just fine.
I'm excited for you!!!

alegna said...

Songbird,
Thank you for sharing your advice. I need all the advice I can get! This lil one is due on New Year's Eve.