Thursday, July 05, 2007

Summertime Warning For Dogs Who Swim

Recently, this topic has been all over the Whole Dog Journal as well as our local club member lists. This is disturbing information.
Algae Article

Crosby's Story


We have always allowed our dogs to drink from natural water sources. I have usually been careful to only allow them to drink from sources with running water such as streams, creeks, or rivers. I don't worry that much about the threat of Giardia as that is quite treatable and non-life threatening (if treated of course). Plus, I generally put faith in their immune systems to take care of this sort of thing.

My main worry now is for our lil Sabrina. She has learned to love the water and will go running into the water to swim to cool off. I am not sure how much she is actually drinking but I'm sure she is ingesting some of it. There is a shallow body of water at the Paine house where we walk frequently. I am hoping it will dry up soon, although it just rained again. Sabrina will usually leave me at the trail head and head for a dip in the pond. It is usually covered in a few spots with a yellowish film. I just always assumed it was the pollen from the trees. And it probably is. But without any run off and with the temperatures rising, there isn't any reason why algae wouldn't flourish here.

I sure do hope this pond dries up soon.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

That was a very scary story about Crosby. Molly will try to drink anything if she's thirsty, so we are keeping an eye on her.