Wednesday, February 21, 2007

A Hearty Canine Meal

Today I received my first order from Hare Today-Gone Tomorrow, HARE TODAY a raw food distributor located in PA. It was an exciting event! The products were nicely cut, packaged, and labeled in plastic bags and kept cool in a foam insulated box. The bones were absolutely beautiful! I had been preparing for the arrival of this box so Riley and Sabrina only got a small dinner last night and I fasted them through this morning's meal. I was so excited to give them a nice hearty beef meal. Here's what Sabrina and Riley each got for dinner:

1/2 pound of BRAVO beef blend (ground muscle, bone, organs)
1/2 pound of BRAVA beef tripe (ground stomach and some spleen)
1/4 pound of HARE TODAY'S beef trim
1 beef marrow bone from Whole Foods Market

It was so satisfying to watch my dogs eat their meal with such gusto. They just seemed to savor their meal and I was so proud to be able to give them such a nicely balanced meal. I held off on the HARE-TODAY beef marrow bones cuz they look like a beautiful snack in themselves. I'm saving it for a day when I feel guilty about not letting them out as much as I should. These beef marrow bones were surrounded by a good 3 inches of meat!

In addition, I purchased large goat bones and lamb bones. Both come with lovely thick layers of meat still attached. I bought some tripe and beef blend from them as well as chicken. The total, including shipping, came to approximately $2 a pound. UNBELIEVABLE!!! Plus, if I ship the foam insulting pieces back I get $10 back. Just to clarify this for people who think feeding raw food is terribly expensive. I looked online to compare with a "high end" holistic dog food. For a 33lb bag of the holistic kibble, you would pay $40. With shipping charges, you're looking at about $1.50 per pound of dog food. Now I dunno how much your dogs eat, but luckily my two are easy keepers. One meal like the one they had today alternated with a smaller meal every other day would do them just fine. And, I'm assured that the meat they are being fed has been raised on a small farm, without pesticides, antibiotics, hormones, or vaccines. Nothing makes me happier than that!

2 comments:

Passionate Eater said...

Sounds like your dogs are lucky to have such a savory and delicious meal! Especially with the marrow bone from Whole Foods!

alegna said...

Welcome to my blog passionate eater! I have really enjoyed reading (and looking) at your blog. In fact, I plan to try several of your yummy recipes. Can't wait to read more!