Saturday, January 06, 2007

Growing up

Riley's lil sister is growing up fast. Today will be the first day of her obedience class- though she won't be attending. Owners only today. Sabrina never got to go to Puppy Kindergarten. She had to be "home schooled" by Riley, and he did a great job! She sits nicely, will "down" with a lure, come when called (with better reliability than Riley actually!), off, and leave-it. Not bad huh? Kudos to the Bernerbuddy for teaching her the basics! I think "down" and "stay" will be very challenging for her. She can barely stand still when she is excited and/or focused, let alone sit/stay or down/stay! Right now, she is able to sit/stay in a minimally distractible, outdoor environment and allow me to walk away a few steps before she breaks. Riley gets very worried whenever she breaks her sit/stay.
Next week Sabrina will be dropped off for her spay operation. It is a sad event. I am reluctant to have it happen. She still seems like such a baby to me, I wish we could wait a few more months but the idea of a heat cycle kinda freaks me out. If I can't take her to the park and let her run off leash I am sure she will be scraping the paint off the walls in the house. And wearing doggie diapers? Forget it. Not happening. Plus if we do try and wait a few more months, and if she does have one heat cycle it makes the operation more complex and more expensive. So next Thursday it is. Riley will be going to the same new "kind" vet to get his x-rays done. Yay! I'm praying they won't need to tranquilize him and it will be a nice stress-free event.

No comments: