Sunday, December 10, 2006

7 weeks post TPLO

Big event for the 7th week milestone...we've taken down the x-pen. If anything, I feel like we could use the x-pen for Sabrina, but she is not one to be confined. The couple of times I have tried to keep her in there did not go so well. First time she broke out. (Probaby just slipped out from underneath it.) And second time she was so anxious she couldn't even handle being in there for 20 minutes with a yummy marrow bone. So the X-pen is packed up and there is some wonderful extra space in our living room now!
This morning's walk was beautiful. The weather has been cooperating the past few weeks. The weekends have been beautiful. So I took the dogs to Beaverbrook and happened to see several Berners at the park. It is seldom that we see more than one of them so this was such a treat. One of the three that we saw is from the same puppy broker that we got Riley from. I have seen them at the park a couple of times before, but I never had Riley with me. With Riley at my side to be an ambassador, it gave me courage to talk to them more about this particular broker situation. It was ideal since both guardians were there. I didn't say that much, just asking about the general health of their Berner and letting them know that if they ever needed anything that the club is a great resource. The other woman with the cute female that Riley loves also chimed in. She recalled her encounter with the broker and knew right away that something about her just wasn't right. The poor couple was obviously shocked and surprised. No doubt a little devastated that the health of their furbaby was on the line. I hate to be the bearer of bad news as I remember how I felt when I first found out. But I also wished I had known so much sooner so that I wouldn't have "advertised" them when people came up to me asking where we got Riley from. I want people to know whom these people are and that they are not reputable breeders. Good thing the other Berner owner was there to help support me and the conversation. I hope to see them again and continue our conversation so they don't feel so helpless. One by one, we'll try to educate them all.

No comments: