Friday, November 10, 2006

Where's Riley?

I take Sabrina to the same parks I used to take Riley to. Over the past three years, I have gotten to know several dozen dog owners and dogs that frequent the same parks. We have our own little dog community. For the most part, we all just know the names of the dogs. I know the first names of maybe a handful of the owners. I see these people more than I see my family-almost everyday, if not twice! Given each park trip lasts anywhere from 20 minues to 45 minutes, I see these people a lot!

When we first got Sabrina, I would bring both Riley and her to the park. People would see me and Riley and never realize that the little black girl was with us. After a few weeks, Riley was restricted from park romps, so I began to show up with just Sabrina. This really confused people. Some people would say hello to me, talk to me for a few minutes, then look around and realize that my usual tri-colored companion was missing. They would even hesitate for several minutes to ask. I think many of them were doing quick memory checks in their head to make sure they were talking to whom they thought they were talking to and didn't mistaken me for somebody else. Then they may ask with great apprehension, "Where's Riley?" The first few times I was asked, I felt a horrible sense of guilt. Having Riley with me for the past 3 years defined who I was. Much of my daily life revolved around him. And now I show up one day at the park with a new puppy. I feel like I traded in my baby boy for a new puppy. Now, most of the regulars I see everyday know of Riley's situation and frequently ask for updates. It is very difficult to comprehend that they will not see him for many many more months.

No comments: