Thursday, February 23, 2006

Raw Seminar

Tuesday night I went to my favorite local pet store for a seminar by Judy Asarkof. She is the manager of the Natural Division of Especially for Pets. http://www.especiallyforpets.com/

She has also been a friend, mentor, and a lifeline to me when it comes to my pets, their illnesses, and their health. The seminar was an introduction to raw diets. I went because I really like to listen to Judy and because I figure there is always something more I could learn from her. If anything, I would be reassured that what I have been doing for the past 2+ years has been correct.

Judy started out by listening to each of our stories about our pets and why we decided to switch our pets to raw diets. The turnout was excellent and it was great to hear that everyone came with different ideas and problems regarding a variety of dogs, cats, and breeds. She gave a nice overview of the different "gurus" of raw feeding out there and explained their differences. I particularly appreciated Judy's ability to explain her personal choices for her animals as well as provide options for people who want to do things differently. Everyone's choices need to match their own comfort level and their lifestyles. I enjoyed listening to everyone's concerns and questions. Many of which were very similar to the ones I had when I first started. Judy has a wonderful way of explaining things in a supportive way, rather than in a dictative way.

Of my four furkids, three are on raw diets and thriving on it. My oldest lil girl, however, being older and more stuck in her ways, has had a difficult time switching. The main reason for my interest in the raw seminar was to learn more about the differences between raw diets for cats and for dogs. I seem to have Riley's diet down but the felines are a little bit more tricky! I learned a few new things. Firstly, cats are *obligate* carnivores. Meaning that they *have* to eat meat to survive. They also need a lot more meat to bone ratio than dogs. The way their ancestors and larger feline cousins eat prey is very different from what a dog or wolf does. Therefore, the ratios of meat, bone, fiber matter, and organs is all different. I learned that what I thought was evidence of picky eating was actually my cat's way of telling me she's had enough organs or bones and she needs more meat.

The more I learn about this more natural way of feeding, the more I learn to read the cues from my pets. They have the instincts that are so innately ingrained in them that help them to survive. As we have domesticated our animals we seem to have lost sight of their natural instincts. With Riley, I have learned to watch his cues. He will frequently request a fast if his body needs it, whether he is feeling a bit under the weather or if his last meal was too big. He refuses certain cuts of meat, organs, and most fruits and veggies. Part of me realizes that he just has some personal preferences. The other part of me which remembers all the hoops I had to jump through when I first started the switch, realizes that my dog knows which foods are not what he needs and which foods he is allergic to. I will watch what parts he picks out to eat first as a cue to what he may be missing/craving and remember to add it in again for the next meal. Although I'd like to think that this is very accurate, we all know that there are just some things our dogs LOVE to eat and will continue to eat until they burst. One of these things (Judy would be happy to hear this) is green tripe. Of all the things Riley will refuse to eat, I consistently believe that this should be one of them based on the horrific smell. But no. This would be Riley's absolute FAV item of all time.

So this morning, keeping some mental notes of what I learned at the raw seminar, I fed my four furkids. Riley got buffalo with an egg and kelp. MeiMei got buffalo meat, ignored the egg. Ming got chicken meat and an egg. And Little Li got her canned PetGuard with a smidgeon of chicken meat. I hope in about a month that Li will be able to tolerate two smidgeons of raw meat in her meal. Let's keep our fingers crossed for her!

No comments: