Monday, August 21, 2006

Ring That Bell

Sabrina is 13 weeks now. Up to this point, Sabrina has been learning quickly from her big Berner brother when to do her doggie business outside. We were getting up to 5 hours in the daytime and 7 hours at night with no accidents. I began to realize that unless Riley was there and we had her on a schedule, she really didn't have her own way to communicate with us when she needed to go out. Riley has always communicated in his own way, giving us a very distinct HUFF when he needed to go out. And that HUFF would gradually get louder and louder until he had to WOOF to get our attention.Sabrina doesn't communicate like that. I had heard of people putting a bell on the door so that their dogs would learn to ring the bell to go out. So I found a bell and tied it to the front door knob. Sure enough, it took 2 days. She got it. But wait...
Murphy's law says once you brag about something, inevitably, things will start to fall apart. So now that I think I've gotten my 3 month old puppy house-trained and bell-trained she ends up with a urinary tract infection and is now peeing all over the house in various intervals. ARGH! The poor thing doesn't have any control and I cannot get mad at her cuz she's also in a lot of pain. I totally feel for her, and for the rugs we just had steam-cleaned. Yah, no kidding, just had them cleaned 4 days ago. Murphy's law!

No comments: