Friday, August 18, 2006

Clever, clever girl

That little Sabrina continues to surprise me everyday. One minute I'm frustrated cuz I cannot believe she's doing something I've told her not to do and then the next minute I am amazed by how smart she is. I have to keep reminding myself that she is just a baby and everyday is a learning experience.


First of all, last night she slept the whole night through without us getting up to give her a potty break. I had a feeling she would be able to do it, but I was so afraid of her having an accident and then having to clean it up in the middle of the night, that every night we've been giving her a potty break around 1-2 am. Disrupting your sleep like that can really make you feel tired and cranky the next morning. I hope this is it, fitful sleep, here we come. This would be a dream come true. Did I even mention that Riley was 6 months before he really got the potty training concept? That means 3 months of letting him out, around the clock, every 2-3 hours. And he was still have accidents!

So this morning I took the kids out for our early morning walk. Sabrina usually likes to run up to everyone we meet to say hello. This morning, the construction crew was there repaving the road. Sabrina saw a worker and started off in his direction, increasing speed from a leisurely trot into a full canter in her excitement to meet someone new. Not wanting her to get in their way or get hurt, I tried to call her back. Recall has not been reliable even though we've been working on it only ALL THE TIME. I've tried all different intonations of her name and most typically I have had to run after her and catch her as she does not indicate at all that she has even heard me. But I suppose it takes a few days to really learn your name, ignore the world, and respond obediently. Well, how hard is it really? But today that little girl heard her name, did a quick U-ie and came right back to me. WOW! I was so proud of her!

Then finally as we returned back to where my car was parked, she wow'd me again with her smarts. I had stopped about 30 feet from where three cars were parked in line with mine. A gentleman I knew and his beautiful 12 year old Husky were just arriving. We were having regular HowYaDoin morning conversation when I did a quick scan to check where the dogs were. Sabrina had found my car and was sitting so nicely by the rear passenger door, waiting to go home. 10 days with us and she already knows our car! I don't really remember how long it took Riley to know our car....hmm....

No comments: