Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Dr. Doolittle

A few weeks ago, I brought Riley to see a new vet. Her name, no kidding, is Dr. Doolittle.
No, I didn't find her in the yellow pages. In fact, she came very highly recommended and I truely had my own reservations of seeing someone actually named Dr. Doolittle. But many club members I know take their Berners to her and rave about what she has done for their furkids. Since we are still in the midsts of itchy ears and sensitive stomach issues, I decided to go see her. She does not practice homeopathy, but I thought I'd try a different avenue until we can find a new homeopath.
Dr. Doolittle is a certified vet, which gives her more credibility, I think, to skeptics. She also practices with herbal medicine (even Chinese herbal medicines), kinesthesiology, and she is a chiropractor. Here's her website: http://www.holisticanimalvet.com/news.htm
The appointment was an hour and a half. What I really do like about non-allopathic vets is that you get so much more time with your vet. The atmosphere is welcoming and you don't have that sterile feeling, that you're a patient and their the professional doctor. I really appreciate that.
She tested Riley and narrowed down the foods that would be easiest for his body to digest and receive nutrients from while simultaneously prescribing herbal supplements to boost his health. Things she felt needed boosting were his digestive and immune system. Some of the things she prescribed included a toxin remover, earth bound minerals, and several natural pills that as far as I can tell are human-grade supplements. Some to boost his kidneys, some for the yeast, others pancreas, and some for the liver. We go back in a few weeks to see if there is some improvement. So far, the only thing I can really tell is that he doesn't mind eating the funny smelling supplements and his ears have not started up with yeast since the last time I cleaned them. This appointment certainly made a dent in my checking account. But my hope is that helping Riley reach a more optimum level of health will save us money and heartache in the long run. I hope to get him to a point when vet visits are nil to none and we can feel confident that he will live out the last days of his life, succumbing only to old age and nothing else. That's all I can offer him, the big bundle of joy that always makes me smile all over. He's the best...What wouldn't I do for him?!

No comments: