Saturday, July 29, 2006

Call him Speedy

Since our first visit with the new holistic vet, Riley has been on daily natural supplements. He actually really likes some of them! Stuff like organically bound minerals, Fung Dx, Spanish Black Radish, Cholacol, and solvent remover. These were to help build up his system so he's not so sensitive to everything. Since we've been on supplements, I started a mini experiment. I stopped cleaning his ears. Riley's ears have always been a source of not only brown goopy yeast, but smelly yeast. Today at the follow visit at the vet's, I told her about my little experiment.
"Really? As she peered into his ears. All I can say is W. O. W. I was expecting some improvements but I've never seen a dog respond so quickly! We'll call you Speedy!"
Not only has the yeast dissappeared from his ears, but the goop from his eyes too. I'm assuming the FungDx took care of the yeasty problems. Unfortunately, Riley is still eating up the dirt and mud at the park. I was hoping the bound minerals were going to provide the minerals he's looking for in the dirt, but I guess not. But the vet recommended we decrease the supplements a bit but continue just to make sure he's on the right track.
While at the vet's I also asked her to look at Riley's movement as his gait looks off to me. Sometimes I watching him galloping and he looks great. Smooth, graceful lines. And then othertimes, he is trotting and something about his gait catches my eye. I couldn't really explain it to her but I knew I had been seeing something. She asked me to trot him up and down the parking lot a few times. She saw exactly what I saw and she had an explanation. His right rear leg reaches too far under and across his midline, even crossing over the left, causing his gait to be a little off kilter. Besides this being a structure issue, she reassured that this is how Riley is built and there isn't anything to worry about. She did a few chiropractic adjustments to his lower back and hips, which he seemed to enjoy immensely, and we were done.
I was pleased to see that the supplements helped Riley's allergies. He seems happy, healthy, and not annoyed by any itchies. At age 3, we are doing great!

No comments: