Saturday, June 03, 2006

Radio Flyer

I recently picked up a new toy. A child sized Radio Flyer wagon that has been adapted for a large Doberman. A woman on my RawFedNE list was moving and needed to let it go. I got it for $20 bucks.
Here is a picture someone's posted on the internet on how to convert the wagon:


Riley and I have dabbled in a great many activities. Pulling wagons (or carting/drafting) was always something I wanted to do with Riley. We even went to a Intro to Drafting workshop in Maine about two years ago to learn the basics. Up to this point, Riley has only pulled 2 by 4s around the driveway. He doesn't mind the harness at all and doesn't seem to mind pulling, but the rattling noise of something following him does creep him out a bit. Since I've always wanted a wagon for him I have been keeping an eye out for someone wanting to sell their second-hand wagon so that we could try it out. The real wagon I'd like to get costs about $350-400, but it's beautiful hand-crafted woodwork!
After I got home from work yesterday, I decided to introduce the wagon to Riley. I got out my armory of tools: treats, treats, and more treats. He was very attentive, happy to get the harness on, but a little wary about the large shafts made out of PVC piping. Some more treats and coaxing and he was in. With me walking closely to him encouraging him and supplying him with yummy treats, he looped the driveway twice! Turning is definitely a challenge but not impossible. I placed two boards in the back of the wagon in hopes of making the wagon rattle a little less. Plus, we tried to walk on the grass and not on the asphalt so as to absorb some of the noise. Not too bad.
Our first attempt at drafting was a success!

No comments: