Thursday, June 29, 2006

Jaxx graduates from Agility!

Having this past week off has been fun. I have found that every day is filled with fun things to do that keep me very busy! My pile of Netflix DVDs which I have been saving for this week are still sitting there. I am too busy doing other activities I normally don't get a chance to do.
Like yesterday, I went to see my GK sister and her furboy, Jaxx, perform at the last day of their agility class. It was really fun to be a spectator and be able to sit back and observe everyone. It seemed easier to listen to the instructor's helpful suggestions and I got to watch how people handle their dogs differently. Angela Nickerson is the trainer and she is one of the best trainers I have worked with. Not only is she very knowledgeable of dog training, but she has a great way of making it fun for the people and helping them through difficult skills. There were four dogs and their people at this class. Besides Jaxx, there was a Berner gal, an Aussie, and a Golden. Everyone in this class is peppy and agile, very unlike our pokey Saturday class. I watched everyone do all the obstacles, even the seesaw! No one in our class has gotten past the half way mark! I'm lucky if I can even get Riley's fourth paw on the plank. But I watched how everyone's dog had great confidence walking across that plank and it was great!
I, of course, could not keep my mouth shut for long, wanting to help coach and offer helpful solutions. My dear friend very politely accepted my help. (You're a great sport!) I guess it's the teacher in me and if I can offer a suggestion or two that could benefit them, why not? The worse that could happen is, I could be wrong, right?
I was very impressed by Jaxx's abilities and was already imagining the two of them in competitive agility trials. I am looking forward to Riley's last agility class and then looking forward to more intermediate agility training. We need to get some equipment!!

No comments: