Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Precautions

There is so much "stuff" out there on the internet these days. I dunno about your inbox, but even though I get very little spam, I still get the occasional forward from a well meaning friend or collegue that warns me about potentional dangers in our world. From the *77 feature on your cell phone, to the how to not be kidnapped in a parking lot, to the dangers of the Swiffer duster. In the past, I would have bought every word of it, forwarding the e-mail onto everyone in my inbox to make sure I passed the info on. Who know what kind of hoax *that* is! As the plethora of information grows on the internet, I have come to the realization that not everything you read is true...DUH! I know, I know. You should know that I once fell for that stupid joke when someone asks you, "Did you know that the work gullible was taken out of the dictionary?" Yeah, that would be me. But a smarter me, today, I take everything that I read with a grain of salt. I keep the info in the back of my head, not discounting it, but not taking it for gospel either.

Anyways, getting to the point. And today, a precaution of this sort crept into my inbox. A warning against rat poison in hotel rooms. The story was about an alleged show dog owner who was at a dog show, staying in a local hotel, who discovered that boxes of rat poison which was left in the rooms was ingested by her dogs. The story seems valid, she mentions a specific hotel in a specific city, during a specific dog show. She confirms that there are boxes of rat poison in hotel rooms under the bed. Anyways, whether this story is true or not, it planted a little seed in my head. If we ever book a room and have Riley with us, I will simply have to ask if there are any toxins in the room. Better safe than sorry, right?

1 comment:

alegna said...

No, they received medical treatment right away and there were reportedly very few symptoms of poisoning. She did confirm through their stools that the poison pellets were ingested and passed through.