Tuesday, September 05, 2006

I did it!

This past weekend, Jeffrey and I went away to celebrate an early anniversary. I was trying every angle I could to convince him we should not go away and leave our babies. Firstly, Auntie Dory whom has always taken Riley while we're away was going to be out of town and was not available. This meant I had to find a second option, a woman we know from the dog park (owns two labs) and is also a staff at McLean Hospital where Riley's volunteers. Riley *loves* her and she is a genuine dog lover. But last minute, she had the opportunity to go out of town as well, so no luck there. I was hoping we could just agree that unless we could find someone we trusted entirely to take care of our babies, we could not leave them for 4 days.
Besides, flying during these times seems more of a hassle than a convenience. The stories about more planned attacks and flights being redirected because of claustrophobic passengers causing a scene. Whatever the cause, it just seemed like we should be avoiding the flying thing.
The bottom line for me was that we have a 3 month old puppy that is very needy and I am a very doting mommy! No one can take care of my babies better than me!
But a friend of Jeffrey's offered and we accepted. We brought the babies over to do an initial visit and let Riley hang out at his place for awhile. Despite giving a laundry list of what to do and what not to do in addition to writing up a few sheets of cheat-sheets, I truly did not think I was going to be able to relax and enjoy my vacation.
So we only called three times the first day we arrived. They seemed fine. Actually, more than fine. They were playing in the park everyday and getting lots of love. We were even able to receive photos of them digitally and it was so nice to see our happy kids. Our vacation was wonderfully relaxing and I'm so glad we were able to go.

No comments: