Friday, May 12, 2006

Bug off

On one of my Yahoogroups, they are talking about the oncoming "buggy" season and natural ways to repell those suckers. I have to admit, I have not been very diligent about giving Riley his garlic regularly. With this recent topic thread I have decided on a new plan of action for this season.
I am going to try 100 mg of vitamin B1, plus garlic, and do the lemon spray recipe. I think it will be nice for all of us, humans and dog to have natural bug repellant. Even though Consumer reports still says Deet is 100% safe. HA!
Here's the recipe:

Use two LARGE, fat lemons (the more rind the better)
Slice thinly
Add fresh sprigs of rosemary
Pour Hot, almost boiling water over lemons and rosemary
Let steep over night
Strain well, squeezing all possible juice from lemons
Use in a spray bottle, shake well before using.
Can add a few drops of geranium essential oil

Sounds like it will smell much nicer than Deep Woods Off! I hope it will keep those nasty deer flies and super-mutant mosquitos away!

No comments: