Sunday, January 29, 2006

PCV

I've been putting out some feelers recently to try and find Riley a new Primary Care Physician, or I should say, Primary Care Veterinarian. We have been working with a Homeopathic Vet that is on the northshore for a few years now. I have even brought MeiMei (aka Tank) to see her too. We've had some luck, but I don't think it's working out to be the best fit. Recently, I have been having some trouble with Riley's ears and darn if I can get a hold of her! Plus, I've been at my wit's end trying to settle the cat fights between Ming and MeiMei and the remedies do not seem to be doing anything.
So I asked around and many people on my little board of trustees encouraged me to try someone else. The decision is not so easy. A part of me wants to stay with my current allopathic vet. They are close, they are good, they are willing to listen. But I don't have the support I need if one day something serious happens to Riley. Part of me wants to stay with this Homeopathic vet. I've spent money with her, she knows my animals' histories, and she's fairly close. You see, most people who work with a homeopath, don't ever see them. Many homeopaths work by phone consult. They can treat ailments by asking you certain questions and you describing it to them. Seems strange, but many many people do this. To a certain degree, this makes me nervous that I am not a good observer nor reporter. But I know that there are many people who know what they are doing and they use a very well known homeopath that lives in CA or NM or somewhere out there.
The other option I have is to find a holistic-minded vet that lives within the area. I don't mind driving up to an hour if I can have everything I need. There are some vets around here that use a little of both conventional medicine and alternative medicine. Makes perfect sense to me. Natural remedies cannot fix a ruptured spleen or broken leg. I would have someone that supports raw feeding, uses gentle homeopathic methods, and has the knowledge of conventional methods if necessary. Problem is, are they good? Looks like a little more research will need to be done...

No comments: