Sunday, December 11, 2005

Winter Hikes

One fringe benefit of having a dog is that they keep you healthy. Not only do they provide companionship and uncontrollable love, but they urge you to take long, scenic walks around areas you typically would not have taken time to enjoy. Riley gets us to explore so many beautiful parks in our area. Last weekend, we went on a local hike in the Blue Hills Reservation. Particularly because it snowed, we felt we had to bring Riley out for a proper romp in the snow. You know, the kind that leaves him sprawled out in the back seat afterwards.

The city is transformed after a big snowing. Every surface is covered in pure whiteness. I love the way it sounds early in the morning, before everyone is up. The city sounds *still*. My hometown being San Diego, this is one event that I cherish about New England: the stillness after a snow. I suppose you would experience this all the time if you lived in Vermont or Maine or something. But living off a busy interesection in Waltham, these quiet moments are rare and precious.

The hike is invigorating. As I look at the woods around me, my perspective on the world changes. Nothing seems troublesome. The thoughts that previously nagged at me (I need to make sure I get this done, don't forget to go here-there, don't forget to call so-and-so back, I need to plan for this, etc) are trivialized and momentarily forgotten. I focus my attention, instead, on where I place each step on the trail. We have never hiked this particular trail sans snow. Therefore, we haven't any idea what the terrain is like - what we are stepping on after we crunch through the thick layer of snow.

I stop frequently to watch how easy it is for Riley. No need for hiking boots - he has built-in traction and 4 wheel drive. No need for the long underwear, scarf, or hat. He doesn't even need to bring a bottle of water; every few minutes he chomps down a few gulps of snow while he waits for us to catch up. I can't help but to smile each and every time I look at him. He cannot stop grinning from ear to ear, and that tail has not stopped since we left the house.

On the way back Riley is invited to romp with a 2 year old Rhodesian Ridgeback. Though taller than Riley, the Ridgeback is clumsy on his young puppy legs. Riley, now 32 months and only 92 pounds, displays his dominance as the older, more coordinated and more experienced wrestler. They mouth wrestle, they body-check, they mount, and eventually Riley does his Berner hip-check maneuver and I know he is getting tired. We say our good-byes and head back to the trail head. Riley follows me closely, plodding along, tired but happy.

And when we return to the car, Riley jumps into the back immediately, circles once, sprawls out, and with one big breath lets out a long sigh. Proper snow-romp: mission accomplished.

No comments: