Saturday, December 10, 2005

Freestyle Demo

Today we went to the Bay Colony Dog Show at the Bayside Expo Center. If you've never been to a dog show, it's quite an experience. This is the second one I've ever been to and the first all indoor one. I felt like a little girl at the circus. So many different kinds of dogs to see, it was excitement everywhere. I went Bernerless but it wasn't long before I acquired a cute little stuffed Berner to carry in my knapsack.

At Ring 14, there were demonstrations going on most of the day. Service dogs, search and rescue, K9 teams, and finally what I came for, the Freestyle demonstration. I spotted a few people I knew from the Nashoba Valley club. I recognized a gentleman sitting at one corner of the ring with a beautiful Berner laying quietly at his feet. We've spoken and talked in passing at several club events we've attended over the years. I walked over to say hello to him and love up his Berner. Then I saw Judy with her OES (Old English Sheepdog), Mick, whom we haven't seen since Mick was a young puppy. He looked fantastically handsome! I spotted a studly little Westie and immediately knew Mimi would be on the other end of his leash. It was wonderful to finally meet her and Brewster. I also got to meet MaryAnn with her Aussie. It is always so nice to finally see the people whom I have chatred with on various lists, but never get to meet. Suddenly, I noticed that several people began showing up in flamingo pink shirts. More and more were arriving with all different breeds of dogs. Eleven people and eleven dogs in total. These were the members of a group who call themselves: Three Left Feet.



Finally it was time for the show to begin. I was so excited. I had a camera ready, hoping to catch some good shots for the club. I was nervous as I know flash photography can be distracting to performers. I anguished over whether or not to stand directly in front of everyone. What if I set the flash off in a dogs eyes and stunned them in the middle of their routine? I didn't want anyone to be upset that I distracted their dog and ruined their concentration. As everyone came out into the ring, it was exciting to see all of them get ready for their first big public show. I had no idea what to expect.
The first number included everyone. It provided each dog/person team to showcase a particular skill. Some of my favorites included Mick's turn-around and Brew's little dance around Mimi's feet. Some dogs were weaving through their people's legs, others were turning in sync with their owners. I was so excited I barely got a picture in.



The next few numbers had smaller groups of sometimes four and one duet with two Aussies. Half the fun was watching the dogs "space-out" at times, staring out into the audience, and then snapping back into the routine. I was able to get a few photos as they transitioned into formations or stopped to pose.


At one point, my husband leaned over to me and asked, "is this hard to do?" I chuckled.
"You go in there and try!" I replied. "You think it's easy to remember all those routines? Plus, those dogs are all listening to their people's instructions, they are not just being pulled around on their leashes!"
I did hear that they are trying to recruite more men...



Three Left Feet (multiplied 11 times), you guys put on a great show.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Angela,
I'm excited to learn about your blog. Mine isn't all about the dogs, but they do appear in it with some frequency.
I'll look forward to reading yours.
Martha Hoverson
with Molly and Sam

alegna said...

Martha,
I am glad I found your blog too. Thanks for visiting.

alegna said...

Sorry, I have some formatting problems with Blogger in my iBook. I have to publish the comments on different computers. Urgh!