Saturday, February 02, 2008

I Miss My Dogs!

I have been on maternity leave for 43 days now. 43 days at home. This may be the longest time I've even stayed home and not had to go to school or work. Oh, I forgot, parenting IS work...day after day after day of work. Alas, I digress from the topic of this post.
I have been home 43 days now and for the first time there is someone home all the time with the dogs. My Bernerboy, Riley, whom used to follow my every step around the house has resigned to nap all day in the bedroom only to be replaced by my sweet little Sabrina. She is sleeping at my feet in the nursery right now. I try to take the dogs out everyday for a walk at the park. It is good for me to get out and Miss Precious seems to nap well in the fresh air. Despite spending more time with my dogs than I ever have before, I miss them! My hands are always busy. Busy holding nursing baby, busy holding sleeping baby, busy bouncing baby, busy changing baby. And if my hands aren't full, then they are busy shoving food into my mouth because I'm starving!!!

Little by little however, Miss Precious has allowed me to set her down in a bouncy seat so that I may straighten my back, crack my shoulders, and flex my wrists to release them from their constant baby-holding positions. And during those few moments, I have realized how much my hands have missed rubbing, patting, and scratching my furry babies. I bury my face into their soft fur and give them a big bear hug. I feel every little atom in their body sizzling with excitement that they are finally getting some attention from their Mommy! So unconditional. So unjudgmental. So willing to love me back despite 43 days of neglect. There is no resentment. Just pure joy to enjoy just a few seconds of love. How I miss my dogs!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh, the puppies and the baby! They all sound so sweet! This time goes by so fast. I'm glad you're able to get out with all three of your darlings, that is so good for everyone.

Anonymous said...

another good reason not to have a baby! (# one million?) like i need another one. . .sounds awful. . .

alegna said...

KAB, Ha Ha! I could probably come up with another million reasons for you but I tell you what...just as quickly as I can come with reasons not to, I can also come up with millions of reasons to have a baby. I don't think it's easy to understand until you feel that you are ready and when you then actually have the little one with you. I wouldn't really call this period "awful" but it is definitely a new challenge for me. I just try to keep in mind that things are just different and it requires some new household adjustments. OK, A LOT of household adjustments!