Thursday, May 17, 2007

Rain or Sun?

I'm a native of sunny San Diego so there's nothing I look forward to more than the longer sunny days that stretch into summery nights. Unfortunately, I own two dogs that thrive in very different temperatures!
Through the cold wintery season, my Bernerboy thrives in the frigid, bone chilling temperatures. He typically prefers to have his meals outside on the deck; with a nice bed of fluffy snow to eat on and to act as a dinner condiment. He cleans his coat in the snow, he washes his face in the snow, and he eats the snow. As much as Sabrina does love to frolic in the snow with her big brother, it doesn't take long before she gets the shivers. Her skinny little body and thin coat (thus the "flat coat") does nothing to protect her during the cold winter months.
Recently, however, the rains have brought great big ponds where there weren't before. This morning's walk was a special treat. The break in temperatures gave Riley a repreave from the 70-80+ temps we had last week. He happily cruised around the park as Sabrina headed to the pond for a morning swim. She is just now beginning to go swimming just for the sake of swimming, not to retrieve and object I have thrown. It's very cute.
As I look forward to feeling the warm sun on my face I secretly deep down still want the rains to come so that Sabrina can still have plenty of clean swimming holes to play in and Riley can still enjoy a few more weeks of outdoor play while he sheds his winter coat.
Who knows what the weather will have in store for us next week?!

No comments: