Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Discovering the BMD

We met our first Berner in Acadia National Park in 2002. Jeffrey and I were just reaching the summit of a hike. I spotted this beautiful and handsome dog in front of us with a group of people. I am always on the lookout for dogs everywhere I go and I did not know this breed. I instantly loved the distinctive tri-color markings: black, white, and rust. This dog's tail looked like a great flag that waved proudly in the air. He was calm, sweet, and protective. I went right up to these people, hearing them speak French, and asked them the breed the dog.
"Bernese Mountain Dog."
"Oh! He is beautiful!" I lushed.
"Yes, they are wonderful dogs."
I continued to stare at the handsome boy as they went on their way. To this day, I remember the image of that dog standing on top of that mountain. But I can't remember the name of that mountain or what that view looked like...

No comments: